Morrison Community Hospital
303 North Jackson Street
Morrison IL 61270
Department: Operating Room
Job Title: Scrub/Sterile Processing Tech.
Reports To: Chief Nursing Officer
Job Type: Full Time
The Certified Surgical Technician functions in the scrub role and assists in the provision of care for the surgical patient during the intraoperative phase, doing so as a delegated technical function, under the direct supervision of the perioperative RN. The Certified Surgical Technician performs scrub duties as assigned. Cleans, decontaminates, packages, and sterilizes all re-usable patient care instruments and equipment utilized throughout the hospital.
Ages served are pediatric to adult.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in sterile technique, decontamination and sterilization, and instrumentation sets, and the surgical procedure.
- Maintains the principles of asepsis and infection control.
- Delivers supplies and equipment to patient care areas and returns them for reprocessing and/or disposal.
- Demonstrates the proper care, decontamination and sterilization, and packaging of specific surgical instruments and patient care equipment.
- Maintains all sterilization equipment and documentation.
- Maintains inventory of surgical/sterilization supplies.
- Communicates with physicians, ancillary caregivers and co-workers regarding the procedural plan of care.
- Performs scrub duties as assigned.
- Reports charges for items used during procedure.
- Demonstrates the proper use, care, application, and sterilization of specific surgical instruments and equipment.
- Maintains knowledge of equipment and continuously learns new technology and is able to trouble shoot equipment, report malfunctioning equipment and ensure its repair and return to service.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of Morrison Community Hospital.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and Local laws and regulations.
- Attends staff meetings, annual skills lab, and completes required hospital education.
- Certification required within 1 year of hire or LPN with relative experience.
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technician program.
- Must be BLS certified
- Experience preferred.
- Knowledge and demonstration of AAMI – Association for Advancement of Medical Instrumentation Standards.
- Knowledge of Standard Precautions for exposure to Blood Borne Pathogens.
- Must demonstrate organizational and communication skills and be able to identify patient care products and their use.
- Maintains BLS certification.
- Must possess excellent manual dexterity and demonstrate organizational and communication skills and be able to anticipate the needs of the surgeon.
- Must maintain confidentiality, demonstrate compassion, empathy, and respect for all customers.
- Must be able to demonstrate basic computer skills in a Windows environment.
- Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
- Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring.