Morrison Community Hospital
303 North Jackson Street
Morrison IL 61270
Department: Operating Room
Job Title: Registered Nurse - Pre/Post Operative
Reports To: Chief Nursing Officer
Job Type: Full Time
The R.N. assumes responsibility/accountability for a group of patients for a designated time frame and provides care to these patients via therapeutic use of self, the nursing process, the environment, and other health care team members. Ages served range from pediatric to adult.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in the maintenance of the patient during the pre and post surgical periods.
- Responsible for planning, assessing, intervening, co-coordinating and providing direct patient care by utilizing critical thinking skills.
- Communicates with physicians, physician’s office personnel, ancillary care-givers, patients and families regarding the patient’s plan of care.
- Performs assessments including physical, psychosocial, nutritional, functional, safety, spiritual, cultural, and educational needs.
- Complete supporting documentation and accountability for supplies, medications, labs, charges, and equipment used.
- Documents patient assessment data on the appropriate nursing record / EMR including but not limited to: vital signs, treatments, education provided, assessment data, and effectiveness of administration.
- Demonstrates patient and employee safety issues by regular and proper use provided by the hospital.
- Reviews various test results and takes appropriate actions.
- Knowledge of the perioperative process.
- Makes nursing decisions regarding patient status and immediate care needs.
- Provides patient and family education.
- Coordinates and directs the activities of clinical and non-clinical employees in providing care.
- Participates in Unit based Quality Improvements Projects and routine Quality and Environmental monitoring.
- Maintains unit specific competencies and participates in review of the high-risk/ low-frequency competencies.
- Identifies opportunities to improve patient care and utilize evidence-based resources to optimize nursing practice.
- Maintains confidentiality, demonstrates compassion, empathy, and respect to all customers.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of Morrison Community Hospital.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and Local laws and regulations.
- Active registration for Registered Nurse – Board of Nursing, State of Illinois.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in care of surgical patient is preferred.
- Must be BLS, PALS and ACLS certified.
- Current knowledge of ASPAN standards.
- Knowledge of Standard Precautions for exposure to Blood Borne Pathogens.
- Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Must be capable of problem solving, critical thinking, and assessment of patient conditions.
- Must be able to demonstrate basic computer skills in a Windows environment.
- Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
- Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring.