Morrison Community Hospital
303 North Jackson Street
Morrison IL 61270
Department: Emergency Medical Services
Job Title: Paramedic/EMT B
Reports To: Director of EMS
Job Type: Full Time
The EMT-Paramedic administers basic and advanced life support care to ill and injured persons in the pre-hospital setting under on-line or off-line medical control of an Illinois licensed emergency department physician consistent with regional protocols. Performs continuation of care and observation during inter-facility patient transfers per direction of responsible physician and consistent with regional protocols. Delivers professional, high-quality, compassionate and cost effective service to customers. Ages served range from newborn to geriatric.
EMT Basics are eligible for company provided Paramedic training.
1. Assess each call situation to determine best course of action and appropriate protocol.
2. Utilize medical equipment and procedures including defibrillator, EKG monitor, oxygen and suction devices, intravenous fluids, CPR and other procedures and medications as required to provide advanced medical care.
3. Develop and utilize triage skills to provide optimal efficiency during calls.
4. Provide patient care according to clinical protocols and safety requirements.
5. Lift and move patients as required to provide optimum care.
6. Communicate with receiving facility to receive medical direction and to provide critical information.
7. Communicate with patient and loved ones to provide information and assurance that care is being given and to show compassion.
8. Act as team leader and take responsibility for scene management as needed.
9. Drive the ambulance or provide map reading support to minimize call response time.
10. Keep current on certifications.
11. Communicate with dispatcher to receive and understand call data and customer feedback.
12. Monitor and maintain the general condition of the unit, keep it clean and stocked for optimal call response to maintain the image of Morrison Community Hospital.
13. Document activities completely to ensure appropriate information is available regarding each call.
14. May supervise activities of students or interns at all levels.
15. At any given time, performs any or all tasks performed by an EMT or lesser training or qualification.
16. Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of Morrison Community Hospital.
17. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and Local laws and regulations.
1. Must be at least 21 years of age and be a high school graduate or equivalent.
2. Must have proof of and maintain a valid driver’s license and be insurable and maintain insurability.
3. Must have and maintain a State of Illinois Paramedic certification.
4. Must have or acquire and maintain a current certifications in BCLS and ACLS.
5. Must complete NIMS ICS 100, ICS 200 and ICS 700 within 6 months of employment.
6. Must attend hospital orientation and fire safety within 6 months of employment and annually.
7. Must have the ability to communicate verbally; via telephone and radio equipment; ability to converse with a dispatcher or other healthcare providers via phone, radio or in person as to the status of a patient.
8. Must have the ability to interpret and respond to written, oral and diagnostic form instructions.
9. Must have the ability to read road maps; drive vehicle, accurately discern street signs and address numbers
10. Must have the ability to read medication/prescription labels and directions for usage in quick, accurate, and expedient manner
11. Must have the ability to perform quickly, precise, practical mathematical calculations pertinent to ratio and proportion of medication and supplies used in emergency patient care.
12. Must have the ability to communicate verbally with patients and significant others in diverse cultural and age groups to interview patient, family members, and bystanders
13. Must be able to document, in the typed or written English language, all relevant information in prescribed format in light of legal ramifications of such.
14. Must have the ability to use good judgment and remain calm in high stress situation and take on role of ‘leader’.
15. Must have the ability to discern deviations/changes in eye/skin coloration due to patient’s condition and to the treatment given.
16. Must be able to lift, carry, and balance up to 125 pounds ( 250 with assistance);
17. Must have good manual dexterity with the ability to perform all tasks related to advanced emergency patient care and documentation.
18. Must have the ability to bend, stoop, balance, and crawl on uneven terrain.
19. Must have the ability to withstand varied environmental conditions such as extreme heat, cold, and moisture.
20. Must be independent, confident, able to work independently without defined structure, have good stable reasoning ability with ability to draw valid conclusions expediently relevant to patient’s condition, often, using limited information.
21. Must have knowledge and skills relevant to position and be able to implement them in stressful situations,
22. Must be cognizant of all legal, ethical, and moral obligations inherent within scope of practice.
23. Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
24. Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring.