Morrison Community Hospital
303 North Jackson Street
Morrison IL 61270
Department: Specialty Care Clinic
Job Title: Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant - ENT
Reports To: Clinic Director
Job Type: Full Time
The Staff Family Nurse Practitioner is responsible for primary care, focusing on wellness promotion and illness prevention of the patient. Ages served range from adolescent to geriatric.
Has knowledge of the Rural Health Clinic Regulations and will be required to be on duty in the clinic a minimum of %50 of the standard hours of operation.
CLINICAL: The scope of practice of an advanced practice nurse includes, but is not limited to, each of
1. Ensures patient privacy and confidentiality in accordance with the HIPAA Privacy Act
2. Performs all procedures on Nurse Practitioner skills list, and any new procedures under the direction of the supervising physician.
3. Advanced nursing patient assessment and diagnosis.
4. Ordering diagnostic and therapeutic tests and procedures, performing those test and procedures when using health care equipment, and interpreting and using the results of diagnostic and therapeutic tests and procedures ordered by the advanced practice nurse or another health care professional.
5. Ordering treatments, ordering or applying appropriate medical devices, and using nursing, medical, therapeutic, and corrective measures to treat illness and improve health status.
6. Providing palliative and end-of-life care.
7. Providing advanced counseling, patient education, health education, and patient advocacy.
8. Prescriptive authority as defined in Section 65-40 of the Act. The APN may only prescribe and
dispense controlled substances that the collaborating physician has defined.
9. Delegating selected nursing activities or tasks to a licensed practical nurse, a registered
professional nurse, or other personnel. (Section 65-30 of the Act)
10. Performs all procedures on Nurse Practitioner skills list, and any new procedures under the
direction of the supervising physician.
1. Maintains good interdepartmental working relationships.
2. Complies with hospital and clinic policies and procedures.
3. Develops and maintains effective communication mechanisms in the clinic with staff, physicians, patient/families, and between ancillary departments, between clinic members and members of the management team.
4. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with staff, management, and all members of the health team.
5. Investigates and reports incidents and discrepancies promptly as they occur and routes to appropriate personnel.
6. Follows established chain of command for problem solving and crisis intervention.
7. Recognizes and accepts responsibility for and maintains commitment to professional development and clinical competency.
8. Performs any other duties as assigned by Clinic Director, Supervising Physician and/or Administration.
1. Ensures all practices are carried out in accordance with departmental policies, procedures, and standards of care.
2. Reviews and makes assignments of professional and non-professional staff according to health system job descriptions.
3. Demonstrates clinical expertise in the execution of the nursing process and direct staff in its application.
1. Serves on health system committees, task forces, and work groups on a voluntary basis
or as appointed on a departmental, health system or community level.
2. Attends meetings as required; participate actively and complete follow-up activities in a consistent manner.
3. Assesses clinic needs and establish priorities for issues, projects, and concerns. Delegates activities as appropriate.
4. Assists in review of clinic goals, scope of care, policies and procedures in a timely, appropriate manner.
5. Assures health system, or specific specialty standards are adhered to and shared with
1. Responds promptly to quality care issues raised by patients/families, physicians, peers, staff, or ancillary departments. Demonstrates effective problem identification and solving skills.
2. Participates in departmental and hospital QA committees as indicated.
3. Initiates and/or conducts patient care conferences on clinic.
4. Assures that clinic adheres to safety and environmental standards.
5. Demonstrates awareness of risk management and legal requirements established at the departmental and health system level.
6. Informs and assures the protection of patient and staff rights.
1. Assumes responsibility for own professional growth and development. Attends educational programs relating to clinical units and health care management. Maintains current patient care skills and knowledge.
2. Maintains knowledge of individual role in current fire, tornado, and disaster plans.
3. Adheres to and demonstrates awareness of department, personnel and administrative
4. Communicates all necessary information to superiors and appropriate personnel.
5. Participates in and involve staff in the research process and the application of findings.
6. Supports the philosophy, mission, and goals of the Morrison Community Hospital
LICENSURE: Currently licensed in the State of Illinois as a Registered Nurse Practitioner. ACLS certified.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 1-3 years preferred.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
Graduate of accredited school of nursing having received a Master’s Degree as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner. Shall complete all continuing education requirements in accordance with the Advanced Nursing Practice Act.
Must have general knowledge of Electronic Medical Record systems.
Sound leadership abilities and ability to work under stressful situations. Good oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate with patients, physicians, staff, families, outside media and ancillary personnel in a positive manner. Must sign a collaborative agreement with collaborating physician.
Intense concentration, interpersonal skills, and problem solving required on a regular basis. Will be required to lift up to 40 pounds.