Morrison Community Hospital
303 North Jackson Street
Morrison IL 61270
Department: Health Information Management
Job Title: Certified Medical Coder
Reports To: Director of Health Information Management
Job Type: Full Time
Employee is responsible for thoroughly analyzing the medical record, extracting, validating, and coding diagnoses and procedures according to established regulatory guidelines; conferring with the provider as needed to obtain the correct reimbursement in a timely manner for all encounters. Remote coding opportunity available when training is complete and productivity standards are met and maintained.
- Assigns appropriate ICD-10 and CPT codes, as well as necessary modifiers to all relevant diagnoses and procedures in accordance with accepted coding principals, standards, departmental guidelines, and in compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Communicates as needed with Patient Accounts for clarification of coding/billing issues.
- Remains knowledgeable of Coding Guidelines, CPT Assistant guidelines, and coding/regulatory changes by reading literature, trade journals, etc. and attending conferences/workshops.
- Accurately codes a minimum of 8-10 accounts per hour while maintaining an error threshold of 95%.
- Reviews chart for deficiencies and queries physician to complete when necessary.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of MCH.
- Must be a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), a Registered Health Information Tech (RHIT), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Coding Associate (CCA), or a graduate of a Health Information Management Administration or Technician Program or AHIMA Coding Basics Program.
- Must be very detail-oriented and possess the ability to analyze, interpret, and extract detailed technical clinical data for long periods of time.
- Must have excellent communication skills to interact with physicians and staff from various departments and levels in the organization.
- Must be able to use independent judgment in assessing documentation and applying coding guidelines.
- Must have demonstrated competence in the use of personal computers and email.
- Must pass a prerequisite coding exam covering ICD10 and CPT coding.