Morrison Community Hospital
303 North Jackson Street
Morrison IL 61270
Department: Health Information Management
Job Title: Certified Coder
Reports To: HIM Director
Job Type: Full Time
Employee is responsible for thoroughly analyzing the medical record, extracting, validating, and coding diagnoses and procedures according to established regulatory guidelines; conferring with the provider as needed to obtain the correct reimbursement in a timely manner for all encounters. Remote coding opportunity available when training is complete and productivity standards are met and maintained.
1. Assigns appropriate ICD-10 and CPT codes, as well as necessary modifiers to all relevant diagnoses and procedures in accordance with accepted coding principals, standards, departmental guidelines, and in compliance with regulatory agencies.
2. Communicates as needed with Patient Accounts for clarification of coding/billing issues.
3. Remains knowledgeable of Coding Guidelines, CPT Assistant guidelines, and coding/regulatory changes by reading literature, trade journals, etc. and attending conferences/workshops.
4. Accurately codes a minimum of 8-10 accounts per hour while maintaining an error threshold of 95%.
5. Reviews chart for deficiencies and queries physician to complete when necessary.
6. Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of MCH.
1. Must be a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), a Registered Health Information Tech (RHIT), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Coding Associate (CCA), or a graduate of a Health Information Management Administration or Technician Program or AHIMA Coding Basics Program.
2. Must be very detail-oriented and possess the ability to analyze, interpret, and extract detailed technical clinical data for long periods of time.
3. Must have excellent communication skills to interact with physicians and staff from various departments and levels in the organization.
4. Must be able to use independent judgment in assessing documentation and applying coding guidelines.
5. Must have demonstrated competence in the use of personal computers and email.
6. Must pass a prerequisite coding exam covering ICD10 and CPT coding.