The first emergency health measures in Morrison, Illinois were organized by the Women’s League in a residence they owned at the corner of Lincolnway and Genesee Street. In 1930, Dr. W. J. Maurits opened an office on the first floor at 219 East Main Street, with the Hospital operating on the second floor. This was so successful that on June 10, 1942 (after donations and bond issues), the Morrison City Hospital was opened on North Jackson Street, providing 16 beds for patients.
By 1954, the Hospital again expanded to 32 beds and became Morrison Community Hospital. In 1974, a $3 million expansion came, increasing the bed capacity to 84 beds until 8 OB beds were discontinued in 1991. Today there are 60 beds. 25 are acute care and skilled nursing and 35 are long term care.
Morrison Community Hospital Now
Today, Morrison Community Hospital provides many services to the community and surrounding areas. These services include medical, surgical, radiology, laboratory, inpatient pharmacy and emergency services.
Specialty services offered by the hospital also include rehab services (physical, occupational, and speech therapies), skilled nursing, social services, Family Care Clinic, Specialty Clinic, and pastoral care. Our Long Term Care Facility, Four Season’s Living Center is highly respected and supported by the community.
The hospital is governed by a 9-member Board of Directors and a CEO/ Administrator. Area residents volunteer by serving in the MCH Auxiliary, and the proceeds generated from their efforts are used to purchase items for the hospital, and to provide scholarships for students that will be pursuing their college education in the health field. Morrison Community Hospital District has achieved public recognition for providing quality patient care in a personalized manner.